How it all began
Once upon a time a family wanted to send their two children to preschool together. Because their son had a disability, no one would accept them both. So they started their own school so that children with special needs and typically developing children could learn, grow, and thrive together.
Open Door began in 1975 with just nine children.
- We have grown to three schools in central Austin (two in East Austin and one in Clarksville)
- We have increased our capacity to over 210 children every day.
- We have expanded our mission to emphasize socioeconomic and cultural diversity of our families.
- We have added infants and young toddlers to our mix.
- We have built a strong reputation in the community based on our commitment to high quality early childhood education for all children and our attention to social and emotional development.
- We have successfully worked with many children who have been unsuccessful at other programs.
- We were the first program in Austin to be awarded accreditation by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), which is the gold standard in the field. All three of our campuses are currently accredited under this standard.
- We have established a social work program to help connect families to community resources and to bridge school and home.
- We have provided myriad training opportunities for students in the field so we can broaden our reach.
Our goal is for all of our children and families to live happily ever after.